Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Victoria Holt: The Shivering Sands

I really tried to read this book again. I know I read it years ago when I was in high school. Maybe I even enjoyed it. As a friend of mine and of the blog said, it has little or no atmosphere, and that makes it tough to get into. The beginning had a very lengthy section of back story, too, that drove me nuts. I picked the novel up and put it down many times and made it to about page 60 or so when it was all said and done. My motto is that if a book can't grab my attention by page 30, I need to put it down. I give some books more pages than that. The Shivering Sands by Victoria Holt was one of them.

I'm not going to do a full review here. Instead, if you have thoughts on the novel, post them. Tell me why you love it. I need more atmosphere and movement in a novel than I got in this one, but I'd love to know what you think...

I suspect I'm just not much of a Victoria Holt fan after all. Perhaps I just haven't found the right novel of hers to go gaga over yet. Suggestions? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an avid Victoria Holt fan and collector, but I 100% agree with your review of "Shivering Sands." It was not one of my favorites for sure.
Sabrina White

Kristi Lyn Glass said...

I'd suggest Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt. That's the novel that got me hooked on gothics many many years ago.

Fiddlette said...

I liked Shivering Sands, but I am also a huge VH fan...but my absolute favorite book by her is The Night of the Seventh Moon...and also, I adored The Bride of Pendorric...

I've read all of VH's books, and several of them 2 and three times...

 
Wordpress Theme by wpthemescreator .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .