Tuesday, September 14, 2010

In Praise of Doug who sends great books...

This post is a special one to thank my friend Doug W., a man of many talents.  Hailing from Detroit, he's a comparative religion expert, historian, university instructor, book collector and seller, comic book lover, Firefly fan(atic) and all around wonderful guy, and not just because he sends me and my family books.

I told him I was going to do this, and he said that if he were blogging, he would have done a book haul video where he discussed each book and wore a Che t-shirt while making leftist comments. See, that's the major difference between me and Doug. He is actually an extrovert-- sometimes.

Anyway, in the future, I will be reviewing a wonderful copy of Lady Audley's Secret, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon and Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. As a bonus, he threw in a copy of Dawkins' The God Delusion (I guess he's still trying to make me a fan of that guy) and a lovely copy of Little Women. And that was just for starters. He sent me all of these books and more in a tidy box yesterday. And he has sent many more before-- the ones he says won't sell but that are in excellent shape. I suspect he just sends them because he's a nice guy; I'm pretty sure he could sell them if he wanted to. So, here's to Doug-- a rare friend and colleague.

My nefarious reason for posting this tribute is also to encourage him to join Facebook (or at least Twitter-- I even did it finally-- today) and start a comic book (or any of his other interests) blog. He is a creative genius (and all around genius), and I keep trying to get him to write up and pitch the stories and concepts he has. I can see his name in lights or at least on books.

Thanks again for all the books and for your friendship, Doug. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that blog or at least a Facebook page for your musings. :)

0 comments:

 
Wordpress Theme by wpthemescreator .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .